There’s a movement out there to name Loop 289 after Chris Beard, Texas Tech basketball coach, who just took the Red Raiders to the Final Four.
Cool idea … but why not name the new Loop 88 after Coach Beard. That way, anytime there are stories in local media about work on the new road over the next few years and decades, he’ll always be mentioned. For example:
- “Initial right-of-way work being done on the Beard Loop.”
- “First stage of Beard Loop soon to be finished.”
- “Businesses flocking to be near Beard Loop.”
- “Finished Beard Loop called best way to get from Slaton Bakery to Cagle’s Steaks.”
By then, who knows how many national championships Coach Beard and his Red Raiders will have brought home to Lubbock.
But why stop there?
What else can we name after our feisty hoops coach?
- 4th Street can become Beard Avenue.
- 19th Street becomes Beard Boulevard.
- 34th Street becomes Beard Street.
- 82nd Street becomes Fireside Chat Avenue.
- 98th Street becomes Solid Choice Street.
- 114th Street becomes whatever coach’s daughters want to call it.
Think that should do it?
Well, that was fun.
Chris Beard is a young man, and while making it to the penultimate place in college basketball in a laudable feat for Texas Tech men’s basketball, Coach Beard’s also taught us to settle for nothing but first.
And we plan to keep him here.
After all, Coach Beard has proven you can recruit top players to Lubbock who can get to the NCAA Final Four. Why would a coach go anywhere else?
Assume those contract negotiations are going well.